Are you an experienced Buyer with a background within a fabrication engineering environment?
Would you like to work for a company going through a period of transformation and growth with future prospects and career progression?
We have a position in the Stockport area working within an engineering & manufacturing company known for their long history and engineering innovation.
Under a recently signed 2-billion-pound contract with the UK MOD our client has the requirement to recruit two new buyers on a permanent basis.
You will be CIPs qualified and have at least three years Buying experience within an engineering or fabrication company.
Main purpose of job:
- The buyer roles support the sourcing of materials and components for the new project. You will be involved in transfer aspects of an existing supply chain based in Europe to a UK based supply chain.
- Some of the products will be first time sourced so experience of New Product Development would be ideal. One role will focus on Jigs & Fixtures and one role on Supply Chain Development
- You will review engineering drawings and BOM's, then communicate with suppliers to ensure materials and components are delivered on time and within budget. You will build relationships with suppliers and negotiate costs where required.
- Placing orders with approved and existing suppliers
- Obtaining quotes to ensure the new prices from potential suppliers for cost saving purposes
- Negotiate with new suppliers on pricings and terms
- Ensuring production requirements are met with the procurement of materials
- Attending supplier sites as necessary
- Preparing RFP's (Request for Proposal)
- Supplier capability reviews
- Supplier commercial/quality visits both in the UK and abroad.
- Risk assessments
- Good level of secondary education
- Qualifications in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant technical discipline (ideal)
- Ideally working towards CIPS membership (Level 6)
- Right to Work in the UK
- Willing to travel (Europe)
- 2+ years' buying or purchasing assistant experience (essential)
- Supply Chain/Procurement experienced gained in an Engineering environment (essential)
- Must be able to read engineering drawings (essential)
- Experience of purchasing for defence projects (ideal)
- Experience in development of new suppliers within the following fields: Fabrication, metalworking, hydraulics, electrical (ideal)
- Experience of using SAP (essential)
- Experience of understanding Bills of Materials structures (essential)
- Microsoft Excel Intermediate level (essential)
- Experience of first-time sourcing/new product development (ideal)
- Experience of automotive industry (ideal)
- Aptitude, skills and abilities
- Good negotiation & communication skills
- Commercially aware - must understand costs/KPI's
- Must be able to understand supplier capabilities
- Flexible attitude, team player
- German speaking (not critical but would be a bonus)